Monday, January 5, 2015

Two Tales Today

Tales from the Cutting Counter:

Tale 1:

I was trying to cut fabric today for a woman who was unhappy because we only had 2 yards 10 inches of the fleece she liked. She wanted 2 and a half yards. She said she needed a 50 inch by 70 inch piece, and her friend told her that would be 2 and a half yards. With friends like that...  (Note:  she bought the entire piece, just in case.)


Tale 2:

  A couple came in with their little girl.  She was a darling, sweet little thing, about 4 or 5 years old, with black curls tied back from her face with a huge pink polka-dotted bow.  She headed toward me and the cutting counter with a big bolt of fabric that was bigger than she was.  The fabric was microfleece, printed in an eye-popping tie-dye pattern.  Her father offered to help, but Polka Dots assured him that she could do it herself.  "And I want to ask for the material, too," I heard her tell him.  Mom called from the end of the aisle.  "Do you remember what you need to ask for?"  "Yep!" she replied with an air of confidence that was enviable.  Polka Dots wrestled the bolt up onto the counter and pushed it my way.  Dad was at hand, but a couple of steps away, so that he did not infringe on the "do it myself" command he had received.  I looked her in the eye and put on my most formal Fabric Store Lady attitude.  "What may I cut for you today, Miss?"  I asked.  Polka Dots looked at me, smiled brightly, took a breath, and said, "May I have four yarns, please?"  I looked at Dad, who was trying not to laugh.  It was all I could do to keep a straight face.  "Of course you may."  And I made a big to-do over laying the fabric straight, cutting slowly with extra care.  I folded the fabric, handed it to her, and handed the cutting ticket to Dad.  She looked at me and said seriously, "We are making a blanket."  "For whom?"  I asked.  Suddenly, she whirled around like a tiny tornado.  "For meeeeeeeeeeeeee!" Polka Dots said, with delight.  "For meeeeeeeeee!"   I smiled for the rest of the day.

1 comment: